San Antonio Young Democrats

Sunday, April 16, 2006

House District 118

Hot off the wire: Greg Jefferson’s article on the House District 118 race.

First off, Greg – check your math. Democrats have a 8-2 advantage in our house delegation at present. I don’t see Jose Menendez or Joaquin Castro being unseated by a republican any time this millennium, so cracking that 7-3 ratio doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

Also, what has Antuna been talking about, during the Primary? He’s against abortions, immigrants, and appraisal boards. While the third shows that he can at least bang the neurons together, the first two are nuts. I love this line on the immigration issue:

“Finally, I want to work with federal officials to expand detention facilities for those who threaten our national security.”

George, do you mean you want Texas to fund more of those prisoner kennels in Guantanamo Bay? I’m not sure what sort of national security threat we face from the poor folks who want to pick our grapefruits and sweep out floors for us. Perhaps you feel that the immigrants crossing the border are coming here to kill us, like your fellow republican, Tom Tancredo, believes.

Please talk about this some more, George! I love it when Republicans alienate the people you’re trying to court.

And, ... uh... abortion? Please leave that issue up to the adults at the U.S. Supreme Court. They haven’t overturned Roe vs. Wade just quite yet. It’s funny how you say you’re a consensus-builder, especially when you’re talking more about divisive issues, than about how to do right by your broader society.

So, let’s talk about real issues. I love what you have to say about education... it’s really enlightening. I read that your impulses sound a lot more like those that Democrats have actually stood for, unlike your Republican pals up in Austin... you know, those guys who will be funding your campaign and counting on you to vote their way. Have you gone to the Leininger trough yet? I don’t see him on your campaign finance reports... the people I do find there generally make my stomach turn. I’ll have to save that for another post. I suppose that you do have more experience in Austin, at least where it comes to fleecing the public-at-large, while being on the payroll of the big companies... again, I’ll leave my comments about who’s funding you in this campaign for a later blog post.

Anyway, about the real issue – education – Joe Farias really has a great deal more experience in that, and he knows his stuff. So yes, it’s going to be a ‘hard-core battle’ in HD 118 – the school board leader vs. the money-greased flunky.

2 Comments:

  • Money-greased flunky! My word! I say, when our illustrious former chair catches wind of this...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, April 17, 2006 10:11:00 PM  

  • Perhaps we should have educated people fix our education system in Texas. George Antuna graduated from UTSA, and if anyone can find a college that Joe Farias graduated from, I will be very surprised. By the way, Joe Farias' experience on the Harlandal school board includes soliciting a bribe from Louis Cruz. He actually asked for Cruz's boat, until he realized he would get caught.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, June 30, 2006 7:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home